Skip navigation

Translate This Page


Additional Assistance

No matter what your need, we’re here to help you be supported.

 In addition to connecting you to food, cash, and medical insurance benefits, we help connect adults, seniors, families, veterans, and people with disabilities to healthy living and emergency assistance resources.


Emergency Assistance

Emergency assistance is available to qualifying Denver residents only. Emergency assistance services include evictions, rental, and mortgage assistance, first month's rent and deposit assistance, and help with some energy bills.

If you live outside of Denver county, please contact Mile High United Way by calling 2-1-1 or visiting for assistance.






Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)

LEAP, the Low-Income Energy Assistance Program, is a federally funded program that helps qualifying households by paying a portion of their heating costs.




Emergency/Disaster Assistance (through Colorado Works

If you have been financially impacted by COVID-19, have a child living with you at home, and earn up to $75,000 a year, you may qualify for emergency cash assistance.

This money can be used to pay rent or mortgage, cover home or auto repairs, pay medical or mental health bills, buy food, and more.

Please note that at this time, you may not qualify for Emergency/Disaster Assistance if you are receiving other assistance through Denver Human Services.








Burial Assistance

Losing someone you love can be incredibly difficult. Financial support may be available to Denver residents to help with the cost of a funeral, burial, or cremation.

Please call us at 720-944-2175 for more information.



Property Tax Relief

The Denver Property Tax Relief Program provides a partial refund of property taxes, or the equivalent in rent, to qualifying Denver residents.

Applications are accepted for the previous tax year with the program renewing every year on May 1.










Disability Services

If you have a physical, intellectual, or developmental disability, we offer support to help you maintain your health, safety, and independence.


Veteran Services

If you served our country, we serve you. We work with all military personnel, veterans, and their families, regardless of time in service or discharge status.





I Have More Questions

In addition to food, cash, and medical insurance benefits, we can work with you to see if you qualify for:

  • Temporary shelter assistance (eviction and rental assistance)
  • Eviction, deposit, first month's rent, and mortgage assistance
  • Emergency shelter
  • Emergency food vouchers
  • Help with medical and hygienic needs
  • Transportation/bus tickets
  • Family reunification [PDF]
  • Burial assistance

Please call 720-944-4DHS (4347) for more information on how to apply for additional assistance and to find out what types of documentation will be needed. 

Our Emergency Assistance program may be able to help you with your Xcel bill. Fill out this pre-screening checklist or give us a call at 720-944-4DHS (4347) for more information.

During the cold winter months (typically November - April), the Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) can help qualifying Colorado residents help with their home heating and utility bills.

To apply download an application here, (applications are only accepted November 1-April 30 unless otherwise specified), visit Colorado PEAK, or call 720-944-4DHS (4347) for help.

In some cases, yes. If you are an immigrant or refugee in need of assistance, call our offices at 720-944-4DHS (4347). Our staff will connect you to services for immigrants and refugees.


Yes! We work with all military personnel, veterans, and their families, regardless of time in service or discharge status. We’re here to help you navigate your life after service and can assist you with career coaching and development, peer-to-peer support, and specialized one-on-one case management. We also work with a wide variety of community partners and can provide you with referrals to additional services.

Learn more at our Veteran Services page.


Yes! If you have a physical, intellectual, or developmental disability, we offer support to help you maintain your health, safety, and independence. We also partner with other community agencies to provide a range of cash assistance programs, services and other resources.

Visit our Disability Services page for more information.

Our staff works closely with many community partners and can provide referrals for services you may need (including clothes for children and adults and eye glasses). You can also contact Mile High United Way’s 2-1-1 help center by calling 2-1-1 or online here.


You May Also Find Helpful



Our GIVE Center leverages contributions, volunteers, and community partnerships to provide essential services to Denver residents in need.


The CARE Center supports families and parents through onsite classes and workshops, help with basic or emergency needs, and support with navigating the city's assistance programs.


Denver Parent Advocates Lending Support (DPALS) connects parents involved with child welfare with parent partners for support and advocacy.


Colorado Works

Monthly cash assistance for individuals and families, plus connections to community resources to help you get back on your feet.


Colorado PEAK

See if you're eligible and apply online for benefits, including food, cash, medical insurance, and early childhood assistance.


Food Programs

Learn about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and where to receive discounted groceries near you.



Main Office, Richard T. Castro Human Services Center
1200 Federal Blvd.
Denver, CO 80204


Customer Service

720-944-4DHS (4347)

If you need Colorado Relay/TTY services in Denver, please call 711. If you need Spanish-language relay services, please call 800-337-3242.


City Assistance

Call 3-1-1

Outside Denver: 720-913-1311
Emergencies: 911
TTY Service: 720-913-8479





Sign up to stay in touch with Denver Human Services.