Skip navigation

Project Guide for Doors

This guide is intended to provide you an overview of the permitting process for changing the size of a doorway opening or creating a new entryway, either inside or outside your home, where no opening currently exists. If you are replacing doors with like doors, either inside or outside your home, no permits are required.

NOTE: If you are creating a new entryway into your home as part of an expansion/conversion that will add a dwelling unit or change the occupancy, visit our Building/Expanding a Home page.

Help Me Get Started . . .

Before you start your project, you need to know what regulations apply to your property and what factors may impact your project. You'll need to consider:

Historic Landmark Status

If you are creating a new entryway or expanding the opening of an exterior doorway of a landmark or historic district property, the project must go through the design review process.

Any project that involves changes to the exterior of landmark structures or properties in historic landmark districts must be reviewed by Landmark Preservation staff before you begin. The appropriate zoning, building, curb cut, or revocable permits needed for the project will be issued only after design review has been completed and the project has been approved. To determine your property’s landmark status, use the DevelopDENVER tool to the right. Then, visit the Design Review web page for more information. 

Building Code

Denver Building Code provides minimum standards for building in order to safeguard public safety, health and welfare. The permitting and inspection process ensures that all home projects meet these standards and that all dwellings are safe and habitable at the time of construction.

Listed in the order they must be obtained. All permits must be in hand and at site before work may begin.

  1. Current City of Denver Contractor’s License/Homeowner’s Exam
  2. Landmark Certificate of Appropriateness – required for any exterior door project in a designated historic district or landmark property. Visit the Design Review web page for more information.

The above must be in hand before you apply for the following:

  1. #1R Building Permit (Single-Family Home & Duplex Walk-Through)
    • You will need: 
    - Size of door
    - Header descriptions

For #1R permit, sign in online or at the kiosk and select Single-Family Home & Duplex Walk-Through.

Estimate Fees
Zoning and Building permit fees are based on valuation of the work to be completed including the labor and materials.  View the permit fee schedules to estimate the fees required for your project. There are no fees for Landmark Preservation.

NOTE: When Same Day review is required for the #1R permit, a "walk through" fee of $100 may be charged in addition to building permit fees, depending on the valuation of the project.

Pay Fees
Fees can be paid in person at our cashier on the 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb Building. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover Card, cash and personal checks at our counter.

To pay by mail, send your check to:
Development Services
Wellington Webb Municipal Building
201 W. Colfax Ave., 2nd Floor
Denver, Colorado 80202

All approved construction set of documents, permits and inspector signature card are to be available on site upon request.


Typical inspections for installation of exterior doors include the following:

  • Frame
  • Final inspection


Note:  The inspections listed above may vary depending on the complexity of your project. You will be advised as to which inspections your project requires through the permitting process and by your inspector.

Exterior doors should be recessed so that the door swing does not enter the right-of-way (ROW) and impact users of the ROW. 

For replacement of an existing door where constraints do not allow the door to be recessed, then the door swing can be located within the ROW as long as there remains at least 5 feet of clear sidewalk for pedestrians and as long as physical objects, like a planter or bike rack, are placed in the ROW to keep pedestrians from walking in to the area of the door swing.

Who Will Do the Work?

Decide whether you plan to complete the project yourself or hire a licensed contractor to complete the job for you. 

Do It Yourself

Do-It-YourselfYou may need to pass a Home owners exam  to demonstrate proficiency in specific trades in order to get a permit to do the work yourself. 

You will also need to meet a set of requirements established by the Denver Building Code and the Building Department Policy ADMIN 131.3 governing homeowner completed work.  This policy can be found on our Building Codes, Forms and Policies page. 


Contractors Use the Contractor license search to see if your contractor has obtained a contractor's license from the City and County of Denver. 

  To view other considerations, see our Hiring a Contractor vs. DIY page.

Home Projects

Every project is different.  Depending upon the complexity of your project, the permit requirements and inspection process may vary from the information presented in this guide.  If you have any questions, please contact us.


What you need to know for your project!

Enter your property address or street intersection:
View property details including zoning, landmark status, inspector districts and more.