Skip navigation

Project Guide For Storm Sewer Work

The guide is intended to provide you an overview of the permitting process for storm sewer work.

Storm sewer work includes the following:

  • Any buried directional pipe
  • Sidewalk chases
  • Dry wells
  • Any other device that concentrates the direction and flow of storm water

Help Me Get Started . . .

Before you start your project, you need to know what regulations apply to your property and what factors may impact your project. You'll need to consider:


Any project that encroaches on a designated parkway setback will need to undergo parkways review. Certain parkways and boulevards are specifically designated by ordinance to preserve their unique character. Each designated parkway has its own right-of-way width and regulations of setback distance of structures and signs. If you are unsure if you live along a designated parkway or for your parkway’s specific regulations, enter your address into the DevelopDENVER tool at right. Look under “Designated Parkways” on the results panel on the left. If a specific parkway appears, click on the “Details” button for information on setbacks.

Denver Forestry

If any portion of your project has the potential to affect the trunk, canopy or roots of the street trees around your property, before you begin, you must contact Denver Forestry by email ( or phone (720-913-0651) to evaluate your project.  Any removal, trimming or planting of trees within the public right of way must be permitted through the City Forester’s Office.  Damages to street trees may result in the issuance of administrative citations and/or fines.  Visit the Denver Forestry web page and click on Property Owner Resources for information on hiring a licensed tree service company or requesting a permit.

Location of Existing Sewer Lines

If you plan to build a new structure over or within 2 feet of the existing sanitary sewer, you will need to replace the sanitary sewer with approved materials. A plumbing contractor can help you locate the sewer lines on your property. Visit Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP) for application, guidelines and other specific information. Contact the Department of Public Works at 303-446-3759 for additional details.


Transportation review and approval is needed if you are changing the location of any driveways that connect to public streets or proposing improvements, such as changing the curb cut, within the “right of way” (ROW), which includes public streets and sidewalks. All ROW projects must be performed by a licensed contractor and in full compliance with the City Charter, ordinances, permitting processes and all other applicable standards, specifications and requirements. Licensed contractors can obtain ROW permits at Public Works Permit Operations, 2000 West 3rd Avenue, or directly from the ROW inspector at (303) 446-3469. NOTE: Alterations to a driveway that connects to an alley, instead of a public street or sidewalk, do not require transportation review.

Listed in the order they must be obtained. All permits must be in hand and at site before work may begin.

  1. Current City of Denver Contractor’s License
    NOTE: ROW improvements must be performed by a licensed contractor.
  2. Forestry Review – required if your project will impact the canopy or roots of street trees
    Contact Denver Forestry by email ( or by phone at 720-913-0651 to evaluate your project and visit the Denver Forestry web page for additional information. Allow about 3 to 5 business working days for inspections and approval.
  3. Parkways Review – if applicable
    You will need: A completed Parkway Exception Request form and a site plan that includes property lines, parkway setback from property line, proposed type, location and dimensions of encraochment into parkway setback, location of existing residence on property and labeled streets. To get a copy of the form and additional information, contact

The above must be in hand before you apply for the following:

  1. Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP)  (Plan Review)
    You will need a utility site plan that includes the following:
    - Location of structures in reference to property lines
    - Sewer locations
    - Pipe sizes
    - 2-way cleanouts
    - Material for all existing and proposed structures from point of connection to the structure to the main
    - Water line locations with sizes
    - All existing and proposed underground and storm water/sewage drainage
    Visit the wastewater permits page for application, complete submittal requirements and guidelines, and other information. 
  2. Right of way (ROW) Construction Permit – required for all work located in the ROW, which must be performed by a licensed contractor. Contractors can obtain the ROW permits at Public Works Permit Operations, 2000 West 3rd Avenue or directly from the ROW inspector at (303) 446-3469. 
    NOTE: If significant improvements within the ROW are being proposed, you will need a transportation plan. Find your transportation engineer using the DevelopDENVER tool at right,  who you find using the DevelopDenver tool at right and contact him/her for more information.

SUDP application and materials may be submitted by email (, online at via e-Plan or in person at the Development Services Permit Counter. Sign in online once for SUDP permit (SUDP).

Estimate Fees
For Wastewater, there is a $100 application fee plus appropriate fees. There are no fees for Parkways review. ROW permit fees are based on the amount of work constructed and the amount of time they are occupying the ROW. View the permit fee schedules to estimate other fees required for your project.

Pay Fees
Fees can be paid in person at our cashier on the 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb Building. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover Card, cash and checks at our counter.

To pay by mail, send checks to:
Development Services
Wellington Webb Municipal Building
201 W. Colfax Ave., 2nd Floor
Denver, Colorado 80202

All approved construction set of documents, permits and inspector signature card are to be available on site upon request.


Typical inspections during construction of storm sewer work include the following: 

  • If property is located in a floodplain, floodplain inspection
  • ROW - Construction Engineering will inspect work performed in the ROW to see if ROW infrastructure was damaged during construction.
  • Wastewater inspection for replacement of sewer lines
    • Permit indicates sewer replacement when structure is over the sewer line or within 2 feet of the existing sewer line.
    • You may need to contact a plumbing or sewer contractor to determine if structure is over the sewer line.  The City only has location of the main lines, not the location of the sewer on private property.
    • Storm sewer work requires an inspection.  All work must be done by a properly licensed plumbing or sewer contractor.
    • Only a licensed contractor can call for the inspection.
  • Denver Forestry

 NOTE:  The inspections listed above may vary depending on the complexity of your project.  You will be advised as to which inspections your project requires through the permitting process and by your inspector.

Be advised that a ROW inspector may require the replacement of any damaged infrastructure (i.e. sidewalk and curb and gutter) in the ROW adjacent to your site per Section 49-551.1 of the Denver Municipal Code which states that the property owner or lessee of any real property is responsible for the continuing care, maintenance, repair, and replacement of all improvements installed in the public ROW between the property line and the curb line adjoining their property.  Please take care not to damage the ROW infrastructure during the construction.

Home Projects

Every project is different.  Depending upon the complexity of your project, the permit requirements and inspection process may vary from the information presented in this guide.  If you have any questions, please contact us.


What you need to know for your project!

Enter your property address or street intersection:
View property details including zoning, landmark status, inspector districts and more.