Skip navigation

Translate This Page


Disability Services

If you have a physical, intellectual, or developmental disability, we offer support to help you maintain your health, safety, and independence.


What You Need To Know

We partner with other community agencies to provide a range of cash assistance programs, services, and other resources, including the Aid to the Blind and Aid to the Needy Disabled programs.

We also are responsible for the oversight and administration of dedicated mill levy funds that are earmarked to support residents of Denver with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD).

Through our Aid to the Blind program, you can get cash assistance if you are not already receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI). If you are receiving SSI, you may still qualify for medical insurance (Medicaid) benefits through Aid to the Blind.

To qualify, you must be a Denver resident, age 59 or younger, and be certified by an optometrist or ophthalmologist as legally blind and unable to work (if applicable). You must also be either US born, a naturalized citizen or a legal resident of the United States.

The Aid to the Needy Disabled program provides cash assistance to Denver residents who have at least a six-month total disability that prevents them from working.

To qualify, you must be a Denver resident and be certified by a Colorado licensed doctor as blind or disabled for at least six months and unable to work (if applicable). You must also be either US born, a naturalized citizen or a legal resident of the United States.

Benefits may vary depending on your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) status. Please contact us at 720-944-4DHS (4347) to learn about your options. 

In 2003, Denver voters approved a dedicated property tax mill levy to support Denver residents with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD), as well as their families and caregivers. The funds provide individualized assistance for, among other things, adaptive technology, therapies, clothing, mattresses, home accessibility upgrades, and furniture. These services and supports are currently administered by our partners at Rocky Mountain Human Services, where you can learn more or apply online for individualized assistance. 

For the Aid to the Blind or Aid to the Needy Disabled program, you can apply online at Colorado PEAK or visit one of our offices and pick up an application. 

Please note that the Aid to the Needy Disabled program requires an in-person interview before eligibility can be determined. Interviews are held Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. You may want to turn in your application and interview at the same time, or you may schedule an interview for a future date.

For assistance funded by the I/DD Mill Levy program, visit the Rocky Mountain Human Services website to learn more or to apply online.


You May Also Find Helpful



I/DD Mill Levy information for community partners


See other disability resources and get info on ADA compliance at the Denver Office of Disability Rights


If you suspect an at-risk adult is a victim of abuse, neglect, or exploitation, call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347)


Get Started »

Find out more about disability services that may be available to you by calling us at 720-944-4DHS (4347).

Apply for I/DD assistance through Rocky Mountain Human Services.

Apply for Aid to the Blind or Aid to the Needy Disabled through Colorado PEAK.


Colorado Works

Monthly cash assistance for individuals and families, plus connections to community resources to help you get back on your feet.


Colorado PEAK

See if you're eligible and apply online for benefits, including food, cash, medical insurance, and early childhood assistance.


Adult Protection Hotline

Report suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation of older or at-risk adults by calling 720-944-4DHS (4347).



Main Office, Richard T. Castro Human Services Center
1200 Federal Blvd.
Denver, CO 80204


Customer Service

720-944-4DHS (4347)

If you need Colorado Relay/TTY services in Denver, please call 711. If you need Spanish-language relay services, please call 800-337-3242.


City Assistance

Call 3-1-1

Outside Denver: 720-913-1311
Emergencies: 911
TTY Service: 720-913-8479





Sign up to stay in touch with Denver Human Services.