Skip navigation


Translate This Page


Aid for Older Adults

As you or your family members age, you may need support to help you maintain your health, safety, and independence. Our trained staff is here to answer your questions and help you access the programs and services you need.


What You Need To Know

In addition to offering Old Age Pension, Long-Term Care, and other assistance benefits, we can connect you to services in our community designed for older adults and their families. 

We can help you enroll in a variety of programs and services available to older adults in Denver, including Long-Term Care, Old Age Pension, and Medicaid.

Because each person’s situation is unique, we determine eligibility on a case-by-case basis. To find out more about which programs are available to you, call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347) to set up an appointment. Or, get started by applying online through Colorado PEAK, a statewide service for Coloradans to apply for medical, food, cash, and early childhood assistance programs. 

Old Age Pension is a state program that provides financial assistance and, at times, health care assistance, to low-income Colorado residents who are 60 and older. To apply, you must be a Colorado resident, apply in the county where you live, and be either US born, a naturalized citizen, or a legal alien admitted to the United States. Call our office at 720-944-4DHS (4347) for more information.

Medicare is a federal health care program available to people 65 and older who worked (or whose spouse worked) and paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years. Medicare is managed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and isn’t a program we offer at Denver Human Services. For more information on Medicare, visit or

The Long-Term Care program helps people apply for services to support health and personal care needs over an extended period of time. To qualify, you must be a US citizen, a naturalized citizen, or a legal alien admitted to the United States. To receive help through us, you’ll also need to prove you live in the City and County of Denver. You can call our office at 720-944-4DHS (4374) to schedule an appointment, or start the application process online through Colorado PEAK, which is a statewide service for Coloradans to apply for medical, food, cash, and early childhood assistance programs.

The City and County of Denver’s Office on Aging is the best resource for information on programs and services available in our community. Their Older Adult Resource Directory [PDF] is a helpful resource that can help you connect with health and dental care, legal services, housing, financial assistance, employment, and more. 


You May Also Find Helpful



Report or learn about abuse, neglect, or exploitation of older or at-risk adults.


The Denver Property Tax Relief Program can provide a partial payment of property taxes paid, or the equivalent in rent.


The Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) can help you pay some of your home heating costs during the winter. Weatherization services and repairs might also be available.


The Denver Office on Aging advocates for Denver's older population by helping local agencies develop policies and programs that improve the quality of life and access to care for aging residents.


Get Started »

Stop by one of our offices or call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347) to schedule an appointment or learn more about the programs and services available to you.

Ready to apply now? Go to Colorado PEAK and start the application process online. Once you're finished, a member of our staff will contact you to set up an interview.


Colorado Works

Monthly cash assistance for individuals and families, plus connections to community resources to help you get back on your feet.


Colorado PEAK

See if you're eligible and apply online for benefits, including food, cash, medical insurance, and early childhood assistance.


Adult Protection Hotline

Report suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation of older or at-risk adults by calling 720-944-4DHS (4347).



Main Office, Richard T. Castro Human Services Center
1200 Federal Blvd.
Denver, CO 80204


Customer Service

720-944-4DHS (4347)

If you need Colorado Relay/TTY services in Denver, please call 711. If you need Spanish-language relay services, please call 800-337-3242.


City Assistance

Call 3-1-1

Outside Denver: 720-913-1311
Emergencies: 911
TTY Service: 720-913-8479





Sign up to stay in touch with Denver Human Services.