Skip navigation

Translate This Page


Cash Assistance

If the resources in your community or in your home are running low, we will work with you to get you back on your feet so you and your family can stay safe, supported, and well.

Our trained and compassionate staff will help you see if you qualify for Colorado Works or other types of cash assistance, and connect you to community resources that can help you reach your goals.


How To Apply


Apply online through the Colorado PEAK website. Se ofrece servicio en español. 

Please note: this site is maintained by the State of Colorado; when you click on the link, it will take you outside of the Denver Human Services portal.


In Person

Our offices are closed to the public until further notice to protect the health and safety of the community and help limit the spread of COVID-19.

While our offices are closed, applications for assistance can still be picked up and dropped off at any of our offices.


Mail or Fax

Have an application sent to you by mail or fax. Call 720-944-4DHS (4347) for more information.

You may mail your completed application to 1200 Federal Blvd. Denver, CO 80402 or fax it to 720-944-3094.



While you cannot apply by phone, you can call 720-944-4DHS (4347) for more information about the application process or for updates regarding your application. Se habla español. 


What You Need To Know

The main cash assistance program is called Colorado Works, part of the federal Temporary Aid to Needy Families program. Through Colorado Works, income-qualified families receive monthly cash assistance payments, help with emergency household expenses, and get support in preparing for and finding work.

Other types of cash assistance include:

When you apply for cash assistance (at one of our offices or online), we will determine your eligibility for the available programs at the same time.

You can apply in person by visiting one of our offices or community outreach locations. For a list of where we are in the community, call 720-944-4DHS (4347). You can also apply online through Colorado PEAK, which is a statewide application service for medical, food, cash, and early childhood assistance programs.

If you receive cash assistance from Colorado Works, you’ll be required to look for a job or be involved in a work activity. Work activities can include some approved education or job skills training programs, volunteer work or community service, job readiness and job search activities, and full and part-time employment. Your case manager can help you identify quailfiying activities and will work with you to help you reach your goals, such as finding full-time work or advancing your education.

Yes! When you apply for Colorado Works, your case worker will talk with you about your goals and how we can help you reach them.

In some cases, yes. Your case manager can help you determine what work activity you may need to complete, as some of your schooling may count toward your work hours.


You May Also Find Helpful



Denver Office of Economic Development's Job Seekers Portal


Colorado Department of Human Services Cash Assistance Portal

For Existing Colorado Works Participants



Work Activity Tracking Sheet [PDF]


Get Started »

Stop by one of our offices or call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347) to set up an appointment to apply or learn more about the programs and services available to you.

Ready to apply now? Visit Colorado PEAK and start the application process online. Once you're finished, one of our staff will contact you to schedule an interview.


Family hugging in a soft, shaded light under the trees



Together, we’ve got this.


Child Care

Find quality care for your children and learn how you can get help paying for it.


Food Programs

Learn about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and where to receive discounted groceries near you.


Colorado PEAK

See if you're eligible and apply online for benefits, including food, cash, medical insurance, and early childhood assistance.



Main Office, Richard T. Castro Human Services Center
1200 Federal Blvd.
Denver, CO 80204


Customer Service

720-944-4DHS (4347)

If you need Colorado Relay/TTY services in Denver, please call 711. If you need Spanish-language relay services, please call 800-337-3242.


City Assistance

Call 3-1-1

Outside Denver: 720-913-1311
Emergencies: 911
TTY Service: 720-913-8479





Sign up to stay in touch with Denver Human Services.